Tuesday, May 4, 2010

First things first

So. It appears that I've caved in and created a blog. But then again, I'm pretty sure loads of people say that crap line everyday. But I'd be lying if I said that this is my first blog. I had one ages ago, back when I was say, 14? Y'know one of those early teen crazes...things.

So without leaving too much of a digital fingerprint (I am, and will always continue to be, a privacy nut), here's the quick and dirty about me. I'm currently in college, but not your usual college; it's really more of an academy that likes to masquerade as a college from time to time. Life here is restrictive, boring in the colloquial sense, but there's always something to do.

But ultimately I'm not totally satisfied with myself here, for many reasons I'll probably bitch about later. Most of the reasoning is philosophical, and that's probably one of things I'll get around to blogging about. In a way, this is a release valve for me, so that I don't get bogged down thinking about particular incidents.

So I suppose I should explain the name of the blog "The Moratorium on Brains". It is the name of my favorite chapter from Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. Fascinating book in the sense that it challenged many of my preconceived notions about the value of life, what sort of premium is placed on life, and on the side, business, economics and a good dose of storytelling. I highly recommend it to anyone to read whether you know of Rand, or not, whether you agree with her views, or not. It's quite an experience.

Anyways, the chapter to me represents the importance of freedom, liberty and human (not defined colloquially anyways) rights. I don't agree with all the claims that the chapter makes, but it does beg discussion. Three things are brought up in this chapter: Living your beliefs, you should keep only what you earn, and think for yourself.

Also, in real life, I tend to talk and think in the third person, but without referring to myself by my first name. I speculate, I argue as the devil's advocate (though given the political nature of my school, I don't really have a whole lot of choice in the matter, not that it isn't fun). But here, I can argue my thoughts, but I still have a bit of the third person in there, so it'll be a literary experience attempting to, (and thus far, I believe I have failed) write in the second person. Yes, the second person point of view exists:

The second-person narrative is a narrative mode in which the protagonist or another main character is referred to by employment of second-person personal pronouns and other kinds of addressing forms, for example the English second-person pronoun "you". (Wikipedia.com)


Frack. Now I can't get out of this block quote mode I used to cite good ol' Wiki. But for now, I'm signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment